i have worked in morden for over 7 years, but have never ventured beyond a handful of eating establishments. i have started this blog, with a view to visiting every vendor of hot grub (excluding global fast food chains like subway and dominos, but including uk fast food chains like gregg's and chicken cottage) within a mile radius of morden tube station.

morden sits at the southern end of the northern line in zone 4. it's in a no man's land between wimbledon (extremely affluent), and mitcham (...not affluent), and is consequently home to people from a broad range of ethnicities and socio-economic backgrounds. the area is (with the best will in the world) extremely dull. however, this blog will celebrate the mediocrity of this inner london suburb, through food.

SUPPORT LOCAL INDEPENDENT BUSINESS!

Thursday 2 April 2015

La Lavella - 02.04.2015

EATERY: La Lavella, 63 London Rd, Morden SM4 5HT
FOOD ORDERED: Chicken Escalope with Chips and Salad












"'Babs Windsor"

I'd been warned off this cafe by a workmate who claimed he's recieved extremely poor service there, so I walked into La Lavella with some apprehension. It is the biggest cafe in central Morden, and seemingly one of the busiest too. In fact it may be the busiest eatery I've seen on my travels so far. The tables are packed in tightly, and there were very few seats free. The queue at the counter was a long too. But I enjoyed the thriving, bustling atmosphere.

La Lavella is half kebab shop, half cafe. I imagine later at night, they close off the seated areas and open up the counter to serve revellers leaving the Irish pub next door. Despite this, it appears to have aspirations above many of the other cafes in the local area, offering a wide array of dishes in a warm, friendly environment.

The cost of my meal with a drink came in at just under £7, so I was expecting something special. My meal came quick (but not too quick), allaying my fears of poor service. The portion was generously sized, but the chips were a little under-done and the chicken a little over. Luckily, they had the widest array of condiments I've seen anywhere in Morden, all sorts of hot sauces, salad dressings and ketchups, which went someway to covering up the slightly dry food. Some may considered the dish to have been under-seasoned too, but I like my food this way. There's salt and pepper on the table after all.

Everything was in place for this to be a great a meal, but the food didn't quite cut it. So I left feeling slightly disappointed. It looks like the kebab and grilled meat dishes may be where the smart money is at. I'll be sure to try something from that side of the menu on my next visit.


QUALITY: 5/10
PORTION SIZE: 7/10
PRICE: 5/10
SERVICE: 7/10
ATMOSPHERE: 7/10

OVERALL: 6.2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment