i have worked in morden for over 7 years, but have never ventured beyond a handful of eating establishments. i have started this blog, with a view to visiting every vendor of hot grub (excluding global fast food chains like subway and dominos, but including uk fast food chains like gregg's and chicken cottage) within a mile radius of morden tube station.

morden sits at the southern end of the northern line in zone 4. it's in a no man's land between wimbledon (extremely affluent), and mitcham (...not affluent), and is consequently home to people from a broad range of ethnicities and socio-economic backgrounds. the area is (with the best will in the world) extremely dull. however, this blog will celebrate the mediocrity of this inner london suburb, through food.

SUPPORT LOCAL INDEPENDENT BUSINESS!

Friday 13 March 2015

Jose's Cafe - 13.03.2015

EATERY: Jose's Cafe, 38 Aberconway Road, Morden SM4 5LF
FOOD ORDERED: Vegetarian Pasta

 

"Hose B"

'Jeans; at the garden party! It is a shame Gladis. It's the American influence. Nobody dresses nice anymore. All these men now, walking around with their shirts open. And suits with TRAINERS. They don't even dress up for funerals no more. Have you ever worn shorts? I would never dream of going out in them. One time girls didn't wear trousers. I think I was the first girl in South Wimbledon to ever wear trousers.'

I had a plate of vegetarian pasta (£5), which appeared to be either decent quality dried pasta, or average quality fresh pasta (I'm not sure I can tell the difference really), mixed up with a jar or anti-pasti (sun dried tomatoes, artichokes, mushrooms etc). The meal was quite oily, but I guess it should have realised it would be. Yr lad put a set of parmesan (the type for the cardboard tube) all over 'er which some people might object to, but I don't.

The portion was a decent size, and the meal was pretty ok. But my meal was overshadowed by the three older ladies putting the world to rights on the table next to me. It was some of the best Granny banter I've heard in a while. Simultaneously hilarious, banal and incorrect. I stuck around for a good 20 minutes after I'd finished my meal just to eavesdrop on their philosophy bee. Classic Morden.


QUALITY: 6.5/10
PORTION SIZE: 6.5/10
PRICE: 5.5/10
SERVICE: 7/10
ATMOSPHERE: 8/10 (mostly because of the old ladies)

OVERALL: 6.7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment